Maryland Enterprise Zones
Businesses locating in a Maryland Enterprise Zone may be eligible for income tax and real property tax credits in return for job creation and investments. Businesses located in one of two focus areas are also be eligible for personal property tax credits.
Enterprise Zone Tax Credits
- Real property tax credits – Ten-year credit against local real property taxes on a portion of real property improvements. Credit is 80% the first five years, and decreases 10% annually to 30 percent in the tenth and final year.
- Income tax credits – the one-time $1,000 credit per new worker. For economically disadvantaged employees, the credit is $6,000 per employee over three years.
Focus Area Tax Credits
Businesses in Baltimore City or Prince George’s County enterprise zones may be eligible for the following tax credits:
- Real property tax credits – Ten-year, 80% credit against local real property taxes on a portion of real property improvements. (does not decline as it does with the standard benefit).
- Personal property tax credits – Ten-year, 80% credit against local personal property taxes on new investment in personal property within a focus area.
- Income tax credits – a one-time $1,500 credit per new employee. For economically disadvantaged employees, the credit is $9,000 per employee over three years.
Maryland Enterprise Zones by Region
Enterprise Zone Name
Greater Baltimore Region
Southwest Baltimore County
Aberdeen/Havre de Grace
Long Branch/Takoma Park
Prince George’s County
Princess Anne/Somerset County
Route 220 South/Allegany County
Northern Garrett Industrial Park
Southern Garrett Industrial Park
Town of Hancock
Washington County Airport
Thirty enterprise zones are located throughout the state. Counties and municipalities are responsible for certifying a business as eligible for the tax credits. Contact the county or municipal enterprise zone administrator for more information on being certified.
FAQ - Real Property Tax Credit
FAQ - Income Tax Credit
Enterprise Zone Map
List of Zone Administrators